All of the pundits are saying the signing of Bengie Molina is not only imminent, but that's it's also a foregone conclusion, and that the deal will be a compromise 2-year package.
Why, why, why?
This is the same Bengie Molina that put up the following stats in 2009:
- .189 BA with 2 outs and RISP
- .225 BA and .250 OBP on the road
- 3 walks in 312 plate appearances in the first half of the season
- .165 BA and .183 OBP in games played that his team lost
- In 14 plate appearances in which he worked the count to 3-1, he walked twice
- .286 OBP with RISP
- When he faced a SP the third time in a game, he hit .194 wit a .212 OBP
Finally, he threw out 23% of basestealers.
Some pro-Molina folks point to the 80 RBIs as proof of his production, but they fail to mention this: he bat cleanup the entire year! That means he had more men on base than anyone else in that lineup, yet only put up 80 RBIs, largely because of his putrid 86 OPS+.
I've been hoping beyond hope that all the Bengie Molina talk would fade away, but not only hasn't it faded, the Mets are actually going to sign this terrible athlete, hitter and sub-par fielder.
Talk me off the ledge please.